The Intro Into My Life

Monday, August 22, 2011

Ouchies

2 weeks ago Fred developed a horrible growth on her left eyelid. She didn't seem to notice it but it was truly horrific (the pic is from its first day so you can't see the full swelling and pus which pinnacled a few days later).
She saw the vet last Monday- she took a scraping for testing as it could have been a dozen different things from a dozen different causes, gave Fred an antibiotics shot, and gave me a smelly ointment to put on the growth 3 times a day. Over the course of the week, the growth's reduced in size but not nastiness. Today, the vet called and wanted me to bring Fred in as soon as possible- which did not bode well. Turns out Fred was bitten and was having a hard time processing the spider venom. The vet opened up the growth and drained it (it's as nasty as it sounds), gave Fred more antibiotics and me more ointment. The vet said the reduction in size is a good sign but due to the injury, its placement, and how long Fred's suffered it that there's a chance of necrosis.


Fingers crossed for a full recovery.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh no. my fingers crossed too.


-DH

Anonymous said...

I hate spiders! Hope Fred gets better.

I had to look up what necrosis meant. Oh shit...wikipedia has a nasty pic

silentssscream said...

Well yeah, it IS nasty shit.