The Intro Into My Life

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Wacky-ass Weather

When I moved to WI, I knew it would take time to get used to things. But this is fucking ridiculous!

1) I have been told that this winter was one of the worst in recent memory. Record snowfall. Unusually high winds. Downpours of freezing rain.
2) Last Sunday was the nicest day so far this year. Mid-70s, strong sun, beautiful. I went biking with Fred for an hour and spent the rest of the day working on the yard.
Until about 8pm when the storms came in. I've never seen lightning like that- no single strike than another; it was a strobe effect. I was downstairs when an enhanced F-1 tornado struck 2 blocks away.
I was luckier than a lot. The tornado moved away from my home but was close enough to rip the left side of garage roof off. The majority of damage ($3500+) was caused by "debris damage" (that's what it's called on my insurance forms). My homestead was pelted by roof tiles, branches, trash, road pavement, pieces of lawn furniture, etc. I even found children's toys in the backyard.
Damage to my homestead:
* 2 windows & 1 gutter,
* 2 other gutters were ripped out of the brick, as well as some siding, but were fixable,
* LOTS of damage to the yard,
* my garage roof (besides the damage aforementioned) was hit with something large & heavy which peeled the metal roof back and removed a chunk of the wood underneath (a total write-off, according to the insurance),
* the trestle over my front patio was smashed up by debris going through it (again- a write-off).
All but the trestle and the garage roof have been repaired/replaced. I'm calling contractors next week for those.
3) It snowed yesterday. The middle of April and it snowed. WTF?!?!


If you click on the title of this post, it'll take you to a map of the tornado's path. There are more damaged houses than those listed (you had to call into emgerency services to be logged).

No comments: